Sunday, April 15, 2007

Microphotographs and the Scoop on Poop



In the world of laboratory science there needs to be a distinction made between slides-thin glass rectangles which hold specimens under a microscope and slides-pictures of specimens which can be projected. Consequently, the latter are often referred to as kodachromes. (As in Mama, don't take my kodachromes away...)*

Here then is my first attempt at creating my own kodachromes. I have always wanted to have a collection of happy polys, and now I see this may indeed be possible. Sadly, my first kodachrome is not of white blood cells at all, but an iodine prep of an ova and parasite concentration. A negative one at that. Taken through the microscope with my digital camera. So this is really just a picture of poop.

But think of the possibilities...

*(Oddly enough this song begins with the words: When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school...)

2 comments:

Miss Brenda said...

Oh miss brenda!
can we project those on the dining room wall along with the naked in a bathtub slides?
love you mummyme

LilChickie said...

A negative poop kodachrome, eh? Wouldn't that look worse in black and white?