Monday, July 07, 2008

Unrenewed Contracts

I got my cellular bill today. $465.83 in 'valid charges'. I was on hold for almost an hour with a very accommodating customer service representative--who couldn't do anything for me unless I first renewed my contract. It wasn't like he didn't give me a choice. I could choose to renew for 12 months or 24 months. I chose none of the above.
I suggested that when my bill approached $300.00 in text message overages that they could have given me a heads up. You know--they could at least have sent me a text message.
The service rep wanted to know if I had any problem with dropped calls. I used 14 anytime minutes on my cell phone last month. They didn't have time to drop any of my calls. That works out to $33.72 per minute. No wonder they are so anxious for me to renew my contract.
I didn't send or receive any text messages on my phone. As inept as I am at texting, they would really like me to start doing more of it. They charged Amanda 20 cents per message for every one of the 1500 messages after the 300 I had already paid for. I'm sure they would want to charge me per minute, since that would be more profitable for them.
I suggested to Amanda that 1800 text messages per month=60/day. At a minute each that's one hour spent texting/day. She suggested that that's her 'cigarette breaks'. I suggested it would be cheaper to smoke.
At the end of the day Amanda has unlimited text messaging on her phone and her mother suggested she take up smoking.
I tried to think of something clever to type here, but I couldn't think of anything except CU L8ter. Clearly, I am not the texting type.

No comments: