Sunday, December 27, 2015

And I Want A Gravy Boat

Fiesta 4-Piece Place Setting

I've decided what I want.  New dishes. I got dishes for a wedding gift.  I didn't pick them.  I didn't particularly like them.  But I used them.  And they were very functional.  I didn't think too much about my dishes.
Until Corelle ran an ad compaign that said when I said 'till death do us part' I meant my husband, not my dishes.  I was 18 years and 4 kids into my marriage, and pretty sure I was keeping my husband. Corelle had just released the Fruit Basket design, and I was pretty sure (did I mention 4 kids?) I couldn't afford new dishes.  And then I got a speeding ticket for driving 43 miles per hour out of South Fork.  Excessive speed.  One hundred and thirty five dollars worth of excessive speed. So   apparently I had $135 dollars to spend.  And nothing to show for it.  So I spent my next $135 on 2 sets of Fruit Basket Corelle and 1 set of coordinating Fruit Too.  Service for twelve, or two meals for six.  And I got coordinating salt and pepper shakers and canisters and the sugar bowl and butter dish. And a tea kettle.  And I added a fruit border. Because, apparently, speed wasn't the only excessive thing in my life in 1998.
Now another 18 years have passed.  And evidently that is about as long as I can be content with dishes. Because now I want Fiesta Ware.
For Christmas Santa brought me one four place setting of Lemongrass fiesta ware.  And I have picked out 5 other colors of fiesta ware that I want.  Scarlet.  Poppy.  Tangerine.  Sunflower.  And turquoise.  Two place settings of each.  Service for twelve.  I figure that Christmases, birthdays, anniveraries, half off sales and Kohl's bucks all considered it will take me about 4 years to complete my set.  The good news is that I only need two sets to make them my everyday dishes.  And I won't want new dishes until I have been married for 58 years.
On Christmas Day, on my way home from work, I was pulled over for speeding coming into Dodge City.  And given a warning instead of a citation.  I'm thinking that's worth at least two place settings.

4 comments:

Anastasia said...

Don't forget that you re upholstered the dining room chairs to match the fruit dishes :)

Minnie said...

It's probably been over 18 years since I've had my fiestaware and still loving it!! Although I did get new silverware for Christmas after having mine for 30yrs!

Miss Brenda said...

And kitchen curtains. I didn't forget. I just didn't want to appear total crazy. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Amanda said...

the lifestory of your dishes is so perfectly cyclical! love you!!