Wednesday, December 05, 2007

My Dentist--My Hero

Today I got my teeth cleaned and my eyes examined. I like my hygienist, however it is difficult to have a conversation with someone who has her fingers in your mouth. Today I was fortunate that the dentist just looked. I told him I wanted him to look and tell me that I did not need to have the final two gum grafts that I have been putting off for almost a year. So he looked and told me he didn't think I needed them and he would not advise me to have them, and the gums at his eye teeth may have more recession than mine and he certainly wasn't going to have them grafted. So a great big YEAH!! to that. Also, I had no cavities. My dentist says people do not often call him their hero.
I like my eye doctor okay, but if there is a hero in my afternoon, it is the optical associate who helps me pick my frames. To no one's surprise I am a little more nearsighted than I was 2 years ago. The only joy in that is that I get to pick new frames. The sadness is that as an extremely nearsighted person (as in blind) I can't tell what I look like in the frames unless I press my nose against the mirror. Subsequently, (my best adverb usage today), I look cross-eyed in everything I try on. So I place myself at the mercy of the optical associate. She walks around the room with me, keeps me from bumping into things, hands me frames and says, "try this." I put them on, she judges. Mostly she makes a declaration and puts them back. Too heavy. Not a good color on you. Too wide. Not good. Boring. Too much bling. And the scariest of all: those make you look droopy. (AAAAAHHHHH!! Neither one of us wants to touch that pair again.) Then we narrow the hundreds of possibilites to about 4 and we try them on again. And then she tells me her favorite. They have little rhinestones(!?!) and they make me "look younger". Hah! Whatever they pay this woman is too little. She asks the other associate across the room what she thinks and she concurs. Of course, I can not see their facial features to see if they are winking at each other. I pay for my progressive lenses (a euphanism they use for whatever completes this series: bifocals, trifocals,...), order my new frames and I leave there feeling like I just got a facelift. My glasses will be in next week.

1 comment:

Abi said...

Yeah for no more gum surgery! and congrats on the cooking, I can just see you on the floor fighting off dixi, how many did she manage to eat?
and I demand pics of you in your new glasses, I'm a bit intrigued by the rinestones!
love to all