Thursday, December 04, 2008

Building Relationships on a Ladder

True to my pledge to get out more, I ate supper at the bank last night. It was the 'decorating party'. Starts at 5:30. Pizza and chicken, decorate the lobby, and Santa comes. Simple enough if you've done it before. Just a few complications if you are new. Bring the family? Yes. Kid's sit in Santa's lap? Yes. What time do we eat? You ask a lot of questions.
(The last time Alex visited with Santa he asked for a tape dispenser to tape his sister's mouth shut. Fortunately, this was in the days of his speech impediment and Santa didn't really have a chance to figure out what he was saying before I tore Alex from his lap. He was three.)
I talked Dave and Alex into attending with me. I decided to attend for 1 hour (and make our getaway before Santa arrived). I fed them a little supper at home in case the pizza arrived after we left. So, of course, they were eating right at 5:30. By 6:00 we were standing in the lobby looking at a ginormous tree. A handful of kids were hanging ornaments on the bottom two branches. And there were two strings on lights on the top of the tree. Everyone else is standing around looking at each other. So Dave gets the ladder positioned and so as not to leave him hanging, I climb up the ladder and attempt to string lights from branch to branch.
Lest you think this is a lovely picture, let me remind you that I have gained 15 pounds in the last four months. I am still wearing the same jeans. I have cleverly disguised my mushroom stomach with a Christmas sweatshirt. When I look in the mirror I remind myself to keep my stomach sucked in and stand to the back of the crowd. But, no, instead I climb up on a ladder in the middle of the room, above everybody's head, and raise my arms in the air. Lovely.
By the time I come to my senses, I realize it is time to go. I take what little dignity I have left and make a hasty retreat. Dave and Alex decide to stay and finish the lights and wait for Santa.
Santa brought Alex a great personalized sweatshirt. Dave got to meet some of the people I work with. I got out of the house and a piece of pizza. Like I needed that pizza.

4 comments:

nancyann said...

should be taken step by step.

nancyann said...

can take you to new heights.

nancyann said...

encourage to always be looking up.

Miss Brenda said...

I should have just left it with the title...You make me happy