Thursday, November 22, 2007

Not Neccessarily Glutton Free

Our Thanksgiving dinner was gluten free. No stuffing. No need for anyone to bring the rolls. No flaky pumpkin pie crust. Evidently there is not a great demand to share such a feast.

Or is it that I never succeeded in creating wonderful Thanksgiving memories that make people want to be a part of it? Sadly, it is not that I didn't try. I've hosted Thanksgivings with both of our large extended families. (Not at the same time, of course.) There was that year where everyone wore turkey hats. And what about the time I was a raving maniac spewing insults at my daughter's choice of clothing and my other daughter's choice of not a boyfriend who was getting more sleep at my house than I was that weekend. (My third daughter had already stopped coming home for the holiday.) Okay, maybe it's not the place to be.

But I'm still trying. Today I worked daylight and Dave cooked the turkey. This is certainly one of my favorite variations of the holiday. I arrived home after four and we were eating dessert at 5:30. Alex says the first Thanksgiving lasted three days and ours took about half an hour. Plenty of leftovers when three people share a 10 pound bird. It was delicious though and Alex ate both drumsticks. Dave cooked the giblets for Dixie. Alex whipped the cream for dessert. Maybe this is the beginning of our Thanksgiving tradition. Or maybe we will never have a Thanksgiving tradition and when we gather together 10 years from now it will be at Hoss's.

Note: The turkey looked so good that we put it on the platter and carved it at the table. I thought it make make Alex think we were like that family in the Norman Rockwell paintings. Alex, of course, says, "Remember in Christmas Vacation, when they cut that turkey..."

The Griswold Thanksgiving

2 comments:

Abi said...

God I hope we aren't at hoss's...
We wish we could have been there.. I'll have to send you pics of Clarie's first Thanksgiving. It lasted about 3 days... not really but there were three courses of sorts. They didn't carve thier turkey on the table (guess it wasn't as nice as yours)

Abi said...

I guess there was no bread shaped like a turkey... remember that year?