Monday, March 19, 2012

No Speakum Spanish

I own Rosetta Stone.  Not the company.  I own a set of Rosetta Stone CDs which, if Michael Phelps is to be believed, should have helped me learn Spanish way before now.  In actuality, I have made slow progress through unit one.  Which did help me know the M on the outhouse door did not stand for Men.  And if I had seen any 'ninos' on 'bicycletas' I would have been golden.  One word I picked up quickly in Mexico was POLICIA.  Because part of the whole mission trip to Mexico involved driving after dark.  When flashing red and blue lights, and burly men dressed in dark colors with big weapons, are just a tad scarier than in the light of day.  When we were pulled over for the third time or so, the policia approached our van first.  Because I guess we were the most suspect.  And our driver, a retired Americano Policia himself, managed to stammer out, "Americano.  No speak..., um, Spanish."  Because even with Rosetta Stone in your pocket it's hard to think of words like 'Espanol' on a dark deserted Mexican road with an automatic weapon pointed your direction.
I took a blurry picture from the back seat, so you could feel the fear yourself.  (Just another service I provide for you, my faithful readers.) 
I spent the rest of my time in the car learning and reviewing the first names of everyone on our team.  Because our fearless leader, (who I believe had a few fearful moments himself throughout the week) suggested that the most important thing we would build on this trip was relationships.  Which comes about as naturally to me as Spanish.  It isn't for lack of trying, just that I really have to work at it.  I am the person about whom people might ask at the end of ten days with me, "What's your name, again?"  or more likely to wonder aloud, "The STP's wife was with him?"
Mostly I hung out with the STP, or when he wasn't available with my friend Lori.  Who, without any Spanish language skills to mention, still managed to build relationships.  Because she spoke a universal language. 
Where unit one includes the phrase,"Tebow, Tebow, Tebow."
And reaching out cements new friendships.
And pointing is worth a thousand words.
Where a giggle can substitute for any words you don't know.
And sharing yourself gets you invited in to the inner circles.
My friend Lori speaks the language of John 15:9.
The STP preached about this verse through an interpreter.  (Because he is not any further in Rosetta Stone than I am.)    
My friend Lori speaks love.  Which doesn't require much interpretation.  I'm glad I invested a week deepening my relationship with her.

John 15:9  As the Father has loved me,
 so have I loved you. 

4 comments:

lori said...

Oh Brenda...you words humble me in the best way possible. Only by His grace, go I. I cherish every memory of our trip to Mexico and the wonderful people. And you are the best travel companion ever!

Brenda's Man said...

I love you so much! And I want you to know that you are much better than you believe yourself to be at impacting people's lives.

the indiansandpirates said...

That was sweet! Glad that the two of you are friends. :) ~Steph

Dee said...

What a beautiful testimony of being the hands and feet of Jesus to others. I have a tear in eye and a smile on my face reading this. Both of you 2 ladies are the picture of love to others!