Saturday, March 31, 2012

Unlikely Events

While we were waiting out the thunderstorm, waiting for takeoff aboard the 757 at O'hare, the pilot suggested we listen to the flight attendants' little presentation on exits, seatbelts, oxygen masks falling from overhead, and flotation devices--in case of an 'unlikely event'.  I believe his exact words were, "Better to know it and not need it, than to need it and not know it."  Happy to report that the plane landed safely in Denver without the occurance of any unlikely events.  So just in case this was my really lucky day, or in case I still had an unlikely event coming my way, I stopped between flights to purchase myself a lottery ticket.
Because you have to play to win.  And my chances were as good as anyone else's.  And better than most Wyoming residents, because true to it's empty map self, Wyoming is one of the 8 states that does not participate in the MEGAmillions lotto.  And even though my chances of winning were slightly less than dying of a lightning strike, I had already lived through a thunderstorm and avoided a plane crash into water earlier that very day. so I was feeling pretty good about my chances.  I could hear that pilot's voice in my head:  "Better to have played and lost, than to never have played." 

I didn't play your birthday.  Or mine.  I let Jesus pick the numbers.  When I got home, I fessed up to the STP that I had gambled a dollar.  And along with the rest of the country, we discussed what we would do with our my millions. I wanted to wait until today to check my numbers.  You know, go to bed with the possibility of being a multimillionaire still on the table.  But the STP talked me into checking last night.  And, sorry to say, I was not the big winner.
(The STP resisted the urge to say, " I wanna show you something, its my shocked face.")
At the end of the day I was not a millionaire.  But on the other hand, I did not get struck by lightning.  I did not have any use for an oxygen mask.  I did not get mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day.  So I went to bed thankful for the absence of any unlikely events in my day.
But if perchance Jesus helped you pick the winning numbers, I want you to know that I was going to totally share my winnings with you.



No comments: