Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Aroma of Victory and the Agony of Defeat

I made baked eggs today after church.  A tribute to my dad and an attempt to use up several things in the fridge.  The recipe was called a frittata, but I recognize baked eggs when I see them.  My frittata was full of fresh spinach, bacon, and cheddar cheese.  I thought it was yummy.  A cooking success.  The Goob even thought it was okay.  Based on the one bite he tried.
The Goob, however, made himself ramen for lunch.  He started it before I started the frittata, and then he had to go out for a few minutes, so I finished his ramen.  And he found it inedible.  Mushy.  Didn't smell right.(!?!)  He was disturbed I hadn't stirred it and had over cooked it.  In general he was disturbed.
I shared my motherly wisdom and a thought I picked up from Charles Stanley in Sunday School this am.  Disappointments happen, discouragement is a choice.  Ramen is cheap I told him.  Make yourself another package of ramen.  Get over it.
And then the Goob said he was not so disappointed about the noodles as he was that I, his mother, could not make ramen noodles.  The directions, he noted, are on the package back.
To which I could only reply, "Point well taken."
The Goob made himself a second package of ramen.  I've just about got this one ready to launch.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

i thought the motherly wisdom was going to just be 'if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself,' but yours is a much better lesson. love you both!

Brenda's Man said...

You can cook for me any time! I love you!