Friday, October 12, 2007

Yesterday Was A Very Good Day

I had a great day yesterday before 7:00am. First, I had my name tag from work for the first time since last Friday. I clocked out at 7:30pm on Friday and drove straight home. I clocked in at 7:00am Saturday morning without the use of my name tag. I have been looking for it and clocking in and out without it ever since. (As an aside--don't ask me how I can clock in without my nametag, but you might find it useful to know that a barcode reader can't distinguish between a laminated barcode and a photocopy of it.) Yesterday Alex pulled my nametag out of his backpack. Someone at school gave it to him and said it had been found at the football game. Here's what happened near as I can figure: When I arrived home on Friday evening with my nametag in my purse, I parked on the street because Jimmy was parked in the driveway and I didn't want to park him in. Because I wanted to get as close to the curb as possible, I had to duck out of the car under a tree. I think my nametag fell out then. Since I came and went in the dark, I never saw it. Someone who parked there on Saturday for the peewee football games picked it up, thinking I had dropped it on my way to or from a football game. Somehow it made it's way to school with a classmate of Alex's from last year. And eventually back home to me. (I didn't ask how many days it was in the backpack.) So yesterday when I pulled my nametag out of my purse to clock in, I unwittingly dropped a ten dollar bill out of my purse. As I'm going down the stairs I hear a gentlemen's voice call out, "Young lady!". Of course, I just kept walking, because obviously, he wasn't talking to me. But when he repeated it, "Young lady, going down the stairs," I stopped to see what he needed. He asked me if I had dropped some money. I immediately answered yes. He knew of course that I didn't know I had dropped it, and I knew he did know I had dropped it. With a quick glance in my purse , I knew it was a 10 dollar bill, and he had already been too honest to keep it now, so he returned it to me and I thanked him. (I hope God rewarded him later or he just had a good day knowing he did the right thing.) So here are the good things: I didn't have to buy a new name tag. I didn't have to get a new picture taken. (One of the advantages of keeping your nametag forever is that your picture reflects a much younger you. The picture I have currently is not too bad, though. The one I had before that...the time the security guard returned it after I had dropped it down the elevator shaft ((Don't even ask)) he remarked how much better I looked in real life than in my picture. I have a photocopy of it if you don't believe me.) I had ten dollars to lose. My lost $10 was returned. I clocked in on time. And someone called me a young lady. And all before 7:00am.
Last evening I had a grilled stickie a la mode and I treated a friend to a grandma's apple pie sundae. I used my $10. All in all, a very good day.

Just for the record, One time I dropped my name tag into the mail box along with some letters. The USPS returned it. One good thing about my nametag is that it has my name on it.

No comments: