Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Next Big Event

A year ago we were planning the first of two weddings. Amanda won't let me arrange her marriage and Alex still thinks girls have cooties. So I think there will be no weddings to plan this year. And if we're going to have any babies this year someone will have to announce something soon. So I am going to plan my baptism.
Actually this would be my second baptism. I was baptized as an infant and up until recently I have been pretty happy with that experience. But while reading through the book "Living The Resurrection" it occurrred to me that I wanted to be baptized again. If I like it, I will then search for Scripture that will support allowing multiple baptisms. You know, like every Spring, or once a month. (Go ahead and pray for me now, but hold your theological insights/corrections/outrage until later.)

Here are some things I would include:
1. Invitations to friends and family to share this celebration with me.
2. I would share my story. I would take all the time I want. (After all, it's all about me.) Let's call this a testimony, cause I don't want to be preaching!)
3. Someone with a deep voice announcing (loudly) : "This is my beloved daughter." (There would be a brief opportunity for God to do this Himself.)
4. The song "You are Being Loved"
I would sing this myself as oppossed to having someone who can really sing do it. (God will be pleased with this even if no one else is.)
Remember--just in the planning stages. Got any ideas you want to share, I will certainly consider them.

3 comments:

nancyann said...

As a young adult, I always thought that you had to be naked when you were baptist. You walked down the church aisle and into the baptism completely naked. If you could do that then you could do anything God asked of you. Not sure you want to include this thought in your preliminary plans!

Abi said...

I like the ideas.. nothing to add at this point. But I'm praying for you.

Miss Brenda said...

I think God would be okay with my nakedness, but I'm wondering how many of my family and friends would be interested in attending...