Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Grandpa, Is That You?

I was cleaning out my jewelry box. You might not think this is too hard because I only have two pieces of jewelry that I wear and one of those hasn't fit me for years. (Thus the need for a jewelry box--a place to keep my wedding ring.) Why then do I have a box full of things? Because some of them are just treasures. I found about a dozen baby teeth from various of my children. A couple of letters to the tooth fairy and one long list addressed to Santa. A few precious necklaces purchased with love at the Santa Shop or the Vacation Bible School store. (I wore one of these to Abi's wedding to pay them back for all their thoughtful gifts over the years.) I found photo buttons from several soccer and band seasons. (Dave is wearing these around the house now. I refuse to ask him why.) An old pair of eyeglasses. A hospital bracelet I must have worn while giving birth. A few other trinkets, bracelets, rings, and one badly tarnished necklace with 4 little hinged people with birthstones in their bellies.
And this vial of dirt. It is a small plastic tupperware-like container with a tightly fitting lid. It is about half full of a fine gray powder. I have no idea what it is or where it came from or why I have it. Amanda says, "Grandpa, is that you?" and we all collapse laughing. So if you know what (or who) this is and if I should keep it please let me know.
I have now put 4 empty vials in my underwear drawer, so that when my kids meet there after my death, they will have their containers for my ashes ready. Sadly, when I went to my underwear drawer there was no underwear in it today. If I didn't have so much laundry to do I would tell you why I was cleaning out my jewelry box.

2 comments:

Rachel I. said...

I don't remember who is in the containers but they are from Matt Harrington. I think one is a sabertooth maybe?

Abi said...

That was ME!!