Thursday, May 08, 2008

Where The Deer and The Antelope Play


When we sent out our family picture I tried to crop out the elk head that was mounted on the wall behind our heads. I should have left it in the copy we sent to Greybull. In Big Horn County this kind of thing is worth big points. Several people commented on it, had questions about it, were dissappointed we hadn't mounted it ourselves. Incidentally, no one had any questions or comments about my children or my grandbaby. Not "Isn't she adorable?", just "How big was the rack?" You can tell something about people by the questions they ask. When Dave and I had a motorcycle accident after being married just 6 months I overheard his friend ask, "How's the bike?" I thought a more appropriate question might be "How's your wife?" I'm just saying. Anyway, we were in one living room with a big horn sheep (I think) and an antelope where the conversation went something like this:
It was 19 inches.
I couldn't believe it.
I measured it myself.
Is it in the book?
Oh, yeah. It's fifth in the state. Someteenth in the world.

They were talking about the antelope. I must admit I am ignorant of most things antelope related. I'm still trying to figure out if they are real or mythical. (The whole jackalope thing has me confused.) I wanted to know exactly what part of the antelope were they measuring. And exactly what book is 'the book' you would put something like this in. Maybe the missing book of the histories is in Wyoming. (I didn't need to know these things bad enough to ask them out loud.)
My plan is to keep my ears open and my mouth shut. I think my ignorance will be plenty evident.
I'm sure coyotes are real.