Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Climb Every Mountain

Her Royal Highness, Princess Amidala, is preparing to pack her car and move back across the country. I am excited for her to be there, to start her new job, to have her own place. I am devastated at the thought of her leaving here. On Sunday we did a little more mother/daughter bonding. We climbed a mountain. (Actually, we forded every stream as well.) We did it with another mother/daughter team. Here we are at the trail head. In truth, the daughters hiked together. And the mothers hiked together. The trail guide hiked in between. He was kind enough to stay close enough in case we needed anything. He said that he just listened for my labored breathing. If he couldn't hear me breathing he came back to check if I had fallen that far behind (or off the mountain completely), or if I had really passed out. The mothers kept plugging along. The daughters sat and rested quite often. (Okay, the daughters sat and waited for the mothers to catch up.) Here we are at the top--9500 feet above sea level and about 500 feet above my comfort zone. Dixie felt the same way about being out on the ledge. She sprinted up the mountain. (The only reason she was breathing heavy is because she was straining against her leash.) But once we were at the top, she cowered against the lookout building and refused to look over the edge. So that's where I am with the princess--at the edge of my comfort zone. Pretty sure she is ready to launch. Not quite willing to let her go. I am having a sound of music moment right now. Wanting to hold on tight. Trying to remember that you can't hold a moonbeam in your hand. Willing myself to say 'follow every rainbow'. 'Til you find your dream'.

Maybe I should get my marionettes down from the attic.

1 comment:

Abi said...

A Nun and a capitalist, what a family you have.