Saturday, April 07, 2012

Dust Yourself Off

According to the book I am currently reading:
Over the course of a year, a five-person family will accumulate 40 pounds of dust, according to one estimate.
I'm not recommending this as good reading, just a comment to bring closure to my Lenten fast from dusting.  (And wondering who makes these kind of estimates.)
I have one more post from my mission trip to Mexico rambling about in my head.  I have been hesitant to share it with you.  Because you might think less of me after you know this.  Because, truthfully, I think less of myself now that I know this about myself.
Remember that my mantra before I left on the trip was "I live to serve."  I've actually used this for years.  I was fond of using it when my kids were in grade school and would call from the school office to have me deliver something they forgot:  a homework assignment, a lunch, a clarinet.  A little reminder to myself that if I really lived to serve that I wouldn't feel so put out to actually be called to serve.  I'd like to think that I had gotten better at serving as I got older matured.

But here is what I discovered in Mexico.  ( Unfortunately, no, not a lost city of gold.)  Even as I endeavor to live to serve, the fact is that I do not like to serve.  Unless I get to pick when I serve.  And how I serve.  And whom I serve.  I am happy to plant or paint things.  I am less happy to water things with a holey bucket or to wash out the paint brushes.  And I am really not happy when you get to plant and I have to water.  Or you get to paint and I have to wash out the brushes.  And I am downright put out if you expect me to water your plants or wash out your brushes.  Because I don't mind serving, but I strongly dislike (okay, I hate) being treated like a servant. 
So on this Good Friday, here is what the hand of God has reached out and written on my dusty heart:

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
(Mark 10:45)

and another reminder that my attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself   

by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

 (Philippians 2:6-8)

If I haven't grasped the fullness of this whole 'very nature of a servant' concept by Easter Sunday, do you think I can put off dusting until I get it right? 

2 comments:

Johanna said...

wow! Thank you for sharing this! I was just thinking about how I like to be in control of the things I do in church. If it's someone else's way, it kind of bothers me. Eye-opening!

jennifer anderson said...

excellent