Sunday, July 07, 2013

As Exotic a Thing As Has Ever Grown in my SFG

42.  Grow something exotic in the SFG.
I bought 4 kohlrabi plants and dedicated a square foot of the SFG to growing kohlrabi.
Unlike last year's eggplants, the kohlrabi grew quite nicely.
I harvested my first one this week. 
 What's a Kohlrabi, you ask?  An exotic member of the cabbage family, the kohlrabi was once the favored vegetable of European nobles and peasants alike. It was first grown in Europe in the 1500's and imported to America 300 years later.  It has a turnip like appearance, with leaves standing out like spokes from the edible portion, which is a rounded, enlarged stem section growing just above the soil line.  
My favorite kohlrabi recipe: 
1. Peel it.
2. Slice it.  3.  Salt it.  4.  Eat it raw.
Sharing is optional.


No comments: