Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Chandelier

The big reveal of the dining room included only a wish for a chandelier for above the table. I mentioned it to a CL (church lady) and she says she has one in her basement. It was in her house when she bought it and she always hated it cause it needed cleaned and it hung crooked. So I could just have it. So I took it. And I had it rewired by a professional. (I don't really trust the STP with things that might catch the house on fire. And he wasn't too keen on the idea of the chandelier in the first place.) And I cleaned the crystals. And the STP put it up in the dining room. (The STP can handle that sort of wiring and by then he was convinced I wasn't giving up on the idea.) And I like it because although it isn't craftsman style and it is fun. Sadly it was missing 7 of the 144 crystals that it needed. CL says she has no idea why they aren't there. I just strategically placed the empty spots towards the far side of the chandelier. And I reveled in it.


Enter LGWTA (Little Girl Who Talks Alot). She takes a look at the chandelier hanging on my ceiling and says she had a crystal like that once. She and CL's grandaughter used to play with them in CL's basement. Maybe she still has it somewhere...


So I stopped hoping that CL will find the missing crystals somewhere in her house. I figure they went home tucked away in little girls' pockets. And I took one crystal to the light store to see if they could maybe order some and to see how much they would cost. And the LOL (Little Old Lady) at the light store brings out her box of mismatched crystals (Picture my mom's button box--only full of different prisms and crystal) and at the bottom of the box she has 5 crystals that match perfectly. And I'm thinking that maybe LOL's granddaughter used to play with CL's granddaughter. But she only charges me $1.25 per crystal. And now the chandelier looks like this. And I don't want a chandelier anymore, because I have one. Now I want a little glass lamp with dangly crystals to set on my Fern Green table.

Oh, and I want to be the kind of grandma who has a box of things that little girls would want to play with.

4 comments:

Minnie said...

love the chandelier!! and the door-but where does it lead to??? or from???

Abi said...

may I say that I have the little glass crystal table lamp you are looking for. I will put a post-it on it in grandma's house and if no one takes it it's yours, it too is missing about 2 crystals, but they are the SAME crystals that are on your chandelier!

Miss Brenda said...

Oh, Abi, you get my hopes up.

nancyann said...

When we moved from Salamanca we took 2 crystals from the chandelier in our dining room. A memento!