Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The SLD and the SFG

Today the sun is shining, the rain barrel is full, and I am feeling pressure to get some outside things done before we leave for the Grand Vacation.  The front flower bed is not going to be one of those things that I complete before departure.  I am digging out the sod that I planted there last Spring.  It is a very lonely job.  That is taking 8 times longer than I planned for it to take.  It would go much quicker if I had some help.  The last time I was out there digging, I was trying to think if I knew any strong (handsome) young men who could help me.  But it seemed just wrong to call someone else's husband and/or teenage son when I already have one of each. 
When I realized that I will not get that project done, I moved to the back yard and loosened the dirt along the fence to stick a few sunflower seeds in the ground.  They will germinate in 10-14 days, so they will be able to do that while I am away, and save us all the trouble of me going out to stare at the dirt three times a day for 10-14 days.  While I was digging along the fence, Dixie was patrolling the backyard for squirrels.  And watching me dig.  And then because she loves to dig and she is such a sensitive dog, she sensed that I wanted help digging.  And so she joined me in digging.  Only she decided to dig in the Square Foot Garden box.  With the lovely loose wonder dirt.  She started in the square foot of basil and, because the dirt is so loose and only 6 inches deep, she moved quickly on to a square foot of pepper and half a square foot of lettuce.  The problem with a Square Foot Garden is that two little dog feet can wipe out a whole crop in mere seconds.  When I saw what she was doing, I yelled at her.  And she looked positively ashamed of herself and just a little confused.  And then she came in the house and laid on the couch. 
And then I realized that that is exactly why I have no help.  Because I yell at them for not doing it right.  And then instead of doing it right they give up and lay on the couch. What I am trying to decide is if the problem is me yelling or them not doing it right.   I think that they don't do it right SO I will yell and they can lay on the couch. 
It bothers me that the dog figured this out before I did.  Stupid Little Dog.

2 comments:

nancyann said...

I love you...

Amanda said...

perhaps you are now rethinking your choice of my replacement... love you!