Friday, September 24, 2010

Season to Taste

This week at one of my jobs I got 'fit tested' for a mask.  (Not my bank job, where it is quite inappropriate to wear a mask at the teller window.)  Fit testing involves putting on a mask, and then pulling a hood over your head so you look like the guys who come to get ET, and then walking and talking while the fit tester sprays a bitter aerosol into your hood to see if you can taste it.  If you can taste it, then your mask does not fit.  Or you have no bitter taste receptors.  As appears to be my case.  The fit tester sprays the  bitter spray into your hood without the mask to see how sensitive you are to the bitterness.  After two sprays everyone else in the room was gagging.  After 15 sprays I was going , "No, nothing."  So I can not taste bitter.  Who knew?
Since I have no desire to be bitter, or to taste bitter things, this is not a problem for me.  But I recognized immediately that it could be a problem for you.
This then shall serve as my public apology for the food I have served to my children over the past 28 years.  You tried to tell me it was yucky.  You tried to hide it your mashed potatoes.  You begged for a dog to feed it to.  (While I am at it I might as well apologize to the SLD, too.)  And I am going to apologize to everyone who I have had over to eat.  And to every church member and adherent who has unsuspectedly eaten from my crock pot at a church dinner.  Sorry.  I didn't know.
The good news is that there is also a sweet spray for fit testing.  And I have no problem tasting sweet.  So my mask fits, and from now on I will be more diligent in following the recipes.  Or maybe I will only make sweet things. 

1 comment:

Prairie Mama said...

I think this must be a special spiritual gift! The gift of bitterness never affecting you!

: )