Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Taste of Fall

Fall officially arrived this week and along with it the end to my summer list.  Things that never got crossed off:
1.  Hit golf balls
2.  Gather patio rocks
3.  See petroglyphs
4.  Visit Jackson
5.  Shoot rodents
A good start to next summer's list. 
Also with the arrival of fall is my return to cooking.  The STP came into the kitchen last evening to find me frying okra.  I had cut the okra, and had three bowls of stuff prepared to dip said okra in, and a pot of boiling oil on the stove.
STP:  Does frying okra involve more than two steps?
Me:  (wiping sweat from brow)  Yes.
STP:  I guess that counts as really cooking.
I'm not sure if the tone of voice meant he was glad to see the return of cooking, or just resigned to it.

Reminded me of the country song:
 We  fry everything, way out here.

Also, I am home today from all of my jobs and am seeing the need to do some fall housecleaning.  (Not that I have any plans to really do it, just that I see the need.)  Moving in that direction, this morning I threw away a bowl of candy that was in the china cabinet since I can't remember when.  There was a handful of mystery flavored dumdums, one butterscotch button, and an extreme sour warhead.  I opened the war head and licked it to see if I could taste sour, and I can.  And then I threw it away.  But it made me remember when the Goob was little and he would ask people to lick the sour off his warheads.  And you really have to be a good friend (or not quite right) to lick the sour off someone else's warhead and then hand over the sweet inside.  And I am thankful that in my life there have been and continue to be such people.  People who have cared enough about me to at least share the sour things with me.  And to revel with me in the sweet times.  A lot of them will be at Amidala's nuptials this weekend.  I'm looking forward to a sweet time.
And I just want to express thanks to my friend Jesus, Who is the ultimate Warhead sucker.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i dont think ive ever seen that one on the 'Names of Jesus' poster... :) love you!