Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fee Fi Fo Fun

Once upon a time the Goob went to science day camp.  When his mother went to pick him up at the end of day one, he was seated in the time travel out chair.  It seems his attitude was less than stellar, and his behavior reached critical mass and imploded at game time.  His mother was required to talk to the camp warden director before he could be released.  His explanation:  the games were called 'totally awesome games' and he did not think passing a balloon back and forth from one bed sheet to another really qualified as 'awesome', let alone 'totally awesome'.  His mother resisted the urge to say 'point well taken',  the Goob apologized to the appropriate authorities,  he was allowed to return to camp for day two, and we all learned the importance of not overselling.
At least I thought we did.
Enter Giant Jenga.  As in I wanted to make a giant jenga game (as seen on the internet) for the patio.  And so I suggested it to the STP.  And I thought we could take it on vacation and I could play it with all my nieces and nephews.  And the STP did not think we could transport it across the country.  As in it would not fit in his truck.  (Perhaps a clever ploy to get a bigger truck??)  Because the STP was envisioning a GIANT Jenga game.  Like each piece is three feet long and made from 4x8s.   Like you would need a step ladder to finish the game.  And like it would actually kill the losers when the jumbo jenga tower collapsed. 
Me:  What are you thinking???
STPWell you said it was GIANT.
So we decided to call it 'pretty big jenga' and the STP cut the pieces--10 inch 2x4s--and stacked them in the garage.  Where they awaited the next step--sanding.  I offered the Goob money to sand them.  Then the Goob got a job lifeguarding.  And his motivation to get money greatly diminished.  Below the point of sanding 57 10 inch 2x4s.  So this week I decided to take the job myself.  And I decided to pay myself a gargantuan amount.  And 18 pieces in I realized I had definately underbid the job.  And that making your own pretty big jenga game is a colossal pain in the butt.  But while I was sanding I decided to pray for each of my nieces and nephews.  (and why is there not one word in the English language for 'children of my siblings'?)  And the humongous sanding job is done.
  Next I will have to travel outside of Dodge City to get some paste wax to finish the pretty big jenga game.  Because this project requires herculean effort at every turn. 
Hopefully it will be a brobdingnagian amount of fun.

3 comments:

Abi said...

excellent.. I too imagined a game like dad. I had not looked far enough to the end to envision the truly final moments of play.
We can't wait to play!

Minnie said...

Do the nieces and nephews parents get to play??

Minnie said...

I would like a jenga set for my beach house. So whenever you want to plan a vacation to the beach house-just deliver my really big jenga game.