Saturday, June 02, 2012

Sand Pail List--Additional Addendum

Soak in The World's Largest Hot Springs

Spend a whole day in my pajamas  (The Goob has already crossed this off his list, but I am still looking forward to my 'Templeton day' this summer.)

Ride my bike.   Through the Big Savage Tunnel. 
Riding my bike is on the sand pail list--things to do this summer.  The Big Savage Tunnel is on my bucket list--things to do before I die.  Been wanting to do this for years.  If I were the adventurous sort I would have 'ride my bike from Pittsburgh to Washington DC' on my bucket list.  (Or would that be my wash tub list?--things that would kill me.)  Anyway, this is the year.  I'm really excited about this one.  In case you have not researched the Big Savage Tunnel, let me offer you a few fun facts to know and tell.  The BST is almost 3300 feet long.  It was originally a railroad tunnel, and is now part of the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail.  It is named for John Savage-- according to Wikipedia--an early surveyor who narrowly avoided becoming a victim of cannabalism in the area in 1736.  Okay, if that doesn't picque your interest, I don't know what will.  Cannibals in western Pennsylvania?  This led me to do a little more research. 

"It was an episode in the winter of 1736, when a hard-luck surveying team wound up stranded and starving in the back country south of here.  Desperate for food, the band mulled cannibalism.
And depending on whose version you buy, ailing surveyor John Savage either offered himself as the entree or was voted weakest link by compadres and put on the menu..."
My father was a surveyor.  He took all of my brothers, and a granddaughter or two surveying with him.  Most of these people will be with me when I bike through the BST.  My strategy when biking with this crew has been to load my bike bag with candy so that they do not leave me (too far) behind.  But now I am wondering if this group of people with a past history of surveying wound up stranded and starving would they vote me the weakest link.  Or view me as the most likely to feed the entire crew.  (Former Local Chubby Woman Feeds Entire Family)
You can bet I will be stocking up on Starbursts before the big ride.  

2 comments:

Minnie said...

I don't even have a sand pail list-but I just spent Friday in my pajamas all day!! Can't wait to bike thru the tunnel with you and maybe you can add some Good&Plenty to your candy supply.

Amanda said...

so excited to ride with you!!!