Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Big Savage



Here we are at the entrance to the Big Savage Tunnel.  I have already ridden twelve miles at this point.  I have given up dressing like someone who rides a bike.  Instead, this year I went for cool, comfortable, and somewhat stylish.  I have kept the helmet as part of the ensemble, not because it is cool, comfortable, or remotely stylish, but because I might be the one who ends up crashing into the weeds.
The tunnel was cool on several levels.  Mostly I was glad to have accomplished this item from my bucket list.  The STP rode through the tunnel with me.  Up to this point I was riding pretty close to last place because I was riding with the handicapped division--those who struggle with an uphill grade.  I expected that my riding buddies would be waiting at the exit to the tunnel to cheer me as I exited. 
Here we are exiting the tunnel.  For the second time.  Because I made the Slovakian Princess return to this point and stage this picture.   After this point I was definately riding in last place.  Because not only did no one wait to cheer my triumphal exit, they did not slow down to take pictures with me at the Mason Dixon line.  To their credit, they waited for me at the end before they went for ice cream.  I breifly entertained the idea of being a more serious biker.  And evidently I can not entertain an idea and ride a bike at the same time. 

Regardless, cross 'Ride my bike thru the Big Savage Tunnel' off the list.

No comments: