Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Flay of Fish

Dave and Alex went ice fishing on Saturday. Caught enough for supper on Saturday. Fortunately the fish arrived here cleaned and ready for breading and frying. That's because, as Alex reported, Mr. Clary flayed them right at the lake.

flay –verb (used with object)
1.to strip off the skin or outer covering of.

2.to criticize or scold with scathing severity.

Just imagine those poor fish being scolded so severely that they lost not only their skin, but all their bones as well.
(This is why I gave up my night job. Sleep deprivation make me want to flay things. Too often my family serves as the direct object. It's a wonder my children have any skin left.)

fillet –noun
1.a boneless cut or slice of meat or fish

–verb (used with object)
10.to cut or prepare (meat or fish) as a fillet.

1 comment:

Miss Brenda said...

The Clarys also 'battered' their fish.