Thursday, September 18, 2008

Retirement Plans


Last weekend was the Pork and Putt. It is a church event where you eat pork and then you play putt-putt golf. The catch here is that there is not a miniature golf course with in a Wal-Mart's distance from here. But no problem for resourceful people in Dodge City. They just build their own. Yes, each family builds a miniature golf hole and sets it up in the church side yard. This is a lot of pressure on the new family. But I think we rose to the occasion.


We built Gobbler's Knob as a tribute to our Pennsylvania roots. Complete with an amazing likeness of Punxy Phil. (You may be interested to know that the large cardboard tube was on the truck because PD knew about the Pork and Putt months ago and thought the tube would come in handy. As would a certain certain piece of outdoor furniture which was not on the truck, but forget I even mentioned that.) You had to putt up the ramp, into the hole, then the ball rolled down through the tube and into the cup on the bottom green. Par 2.

I decided that we will build a new hole each year and after just 18 years we will have our own course which we can set up in the yard around the house. Then Alex kindly calculated my age in 18 years. So clearly this will be how I will spend my retirement years. Sitting in the rocker on my front porch handing out score sheets and little pencils to tourists. The prize for getting a hole in one will be a homebaked cookie. Alex suggested we invite Aunt Nancy to do the baking. Dave suggested we invite Aunt Sara to clean up after us. We will name it after my other sister. 4DS Minnie-Golf. Owned and operated by three little old ladies and their much younger little sister. So I only have to put in 18 years at Dodge City Federal and I'm good to go.
Also, the difference between lab work and bank work: In the lab all of the crap is carefully labelled and sealed in little cups. You decide if you want to open the cups and deal with it before or after lunch. At the bank you never know when crap will just come flying at you and you just have to deal with it when it happens.


4 comments:

Abi said...

Your hole matches your dining room. perhaps you could have the golf course indoors for added excentricality and then when you are really old (many years after the grand opening :)) you won't have to go outside ever.

Rick said...

Clever idea, and looks like a lot of fun. I've played bean bag gold where you set up buckets around the yard and everyone has a bag and tries to toss it into the bucket in the lest amount of tries. It looks a lot easier to set up than an actual minature golf course.

Jill said...

Hey Brenda!!!
Love the tribute to PA!!
I have lurked around reading you blog for a while and finally set up my own blog--you inspired me! I certainly am not as creative as you though and my blog will be much less amusing and fun. I love reading your stories and can just HEAR you saying the words!
Miss you! Jill (Sutter)

Amanda said...

hey i finally picked up those pics from target today... i know you want the doubles, but do i get to keep the pics of claire or do u want those too?
love ya :)