Monday, May 04, 2009

Wyoming--The Big Empty State

The state motto of Wyoming is actually "The Equality State". But anytime I see a map of the United States, it appears as the big empty state. It doesn't even matter what they are graphing or illustrating. When a company advertises nation-wide and shows a map of the U.S. with all their locations marked with red dots, there are not any dots in Wyoming. I saw a map where the states were shown elevated by degrees of something and Wyoming was just a big rectangular hole. On the official state map of Wyoming the state seal is printed on the map in the middle of the state. It doesn't cover anything. No rivers, no roads, no rails. Just a big empty space.
This is a picture of the map from this weeks Time magazine showing the birthplaces of several hundred of the most influencial people in the world.

See Wyoming? The Big Empty State.

Wyomingites like it that way. When I say I am new here, they invariably ask why I moved here. They don't want people to move here. They are leary of peole who move here. They are afraid some one will find out they are here. They are afraid more people will move here. I guess people who are attracted to nothing.


Hey look at this map. Here's a place with nothing. Let's move there.

Next they will take the state name off of the map. Then we will just be a big empty rectangle. We can pretend we are Colorado. Then no one will be able to find us and move here. Already we are at the alphabetical end of the list. We could just drop off the bottom quietly.

Weren't there 50 states? Alabama, Alaska,...West Virginia. No, I guess not.

Keep your eye on West Virginia. No one of influence was born there either.

4 comments:

Abi said...

it is ok, we live in a state that needed to be blown up because there were too many dots to put in our little state, you can claim some of ours if you ever wanna impress anyone. Although no one is pretty impressive.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Im sorry I missed the target/stuff give-away. I lost my chance at having the most comments. So I'll start commenting for the next give-away you may have in the future. Give it to me because I'm handicapped!! (one day playing this card will win me something)

Miss Brenda said...

Sarah-The contest is not over until I say its over. But you will have to comment on the giveaway post to be eliglble. It is not the most comments--just a randomly selected one. Of course, more comments does increase the odds of being selected. Sorry--no advantage points for wheelchair participants this time. Love you.

Abi said...

wait more comments increases your chances of being chosen 'RANDOMLY'? how does that make sense?