Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Devil, You Say

Just outside of Dodge City there is a geological hole in the ground called Devil's Kitchen. We visited it this week. (And crossed it off the list!) I was the designated 911 caller, which means that I had to stay a safe distance from all edges and take photographs of the others as evidence in case they plummetted to their early deaths.
Here are Mark and the Goob as near to the edge as they wanted to be.
Here are the STP and and his daughter as close to the edge as they could be before I screamed like a banshee. Then they leaned over the edge and then they threw rocks over the edge.

Then they found a new, higher, more dangerous edge much farther away from me. Out of earshot and almost out of camera range.

The Goob and Mark ventured towards them. (as the STP and his daughter egged them on toward the edge)
Although I couldn't hear anything, it appears the STP's daughter may have resorted to taunting.

Mark, who is still trying to win the STP's daughter's heart (and the STP's approval) ventured over the edge. The Goob, who is secure in his place in the family (and has his Mom's sense of adventure) turned back.

Love conquers all. And they tell me the view from there was magnificent. I took their word for it.
Here is the photographic evidence that I was also there. This a family picture that the STP's daughter took for us. The Goob is in the picture. He's in the top left--in the car.

1 comment:

Abi said...

wow, I totally had an Eat-n-Park moment...