Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ready, Aim, Fire OR In A Bulls Eye

Here are the results of our marksmanship class.
This is Amidala's first target.
It turns out she is cross dominant like her Dad. This means that even though she is right handed, she is left eyed. So she had to wear glasses with the left eye taped over. This was supposed to trick her brain into using her right eye. (Amidala's brain is evidently too developed for such trickery.) With her left eye taped shut she could not see anything. She definately could not see to use the sight on her rifle. She could just point the gun in the general direction of the target and pull the trigger. Which is somewhat satisfying in and of itself. But not exactly in the realm of marksmanship.

When the left eye trickery failed to help, they got her a left handed rifle and had her shoot lefthanded. Seems her left hand was more willing to be tricked, er, retrained than her right eye.
This (and the bullseye in the first target) is the result of Amidala shooting left handed.





This is my first target. I did not have a cross dominant problem. I did not have a left handed gun. I did not have scotch tape over my glasses. (I didn't really have any excuses.) I just had to squeeze my left eye shut. And try to line up the sights. And hold the gun steady. And pull the trigger smoothly. (And remember to flip the safety off.)



This is my second target. Turns out that I am consistent. A consistently bad marksman.
After we practiced shooting paper plates we moved on to shooting paper silhouettes. Little black outlines of animals. Five ducks in one row. Five turkeys in the next. Out of twenty animals on my target sheet I managed to nip the toe of one big horn sheep. But I'm thinking that if those turkeys were life size instead of an inch high, that I would have a pretty good shot at hitting one--even with one eye closed. Unless, of course, they were moving.

2 comments:

Prairie Mama said...

Looks like you're ready for Prairie Dogs! When do you want to come out? : )

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I'm cross dominant too. I remember back when we were at uncle Bob's camp and I shot a branch out of a tree 20 feet or so from the target. It's been awhile since I have shot anything so both of you are far better than I am.