Thursday, March 17, 2011

Free Bird Sermon Notes

Have I mentioned that I love my pastor?  No, really.  He speaks my language.  On Sunday he spoke directly to my thrifty bargain-loving soul.  He used these red-letter verses:
Matthew 10:29a   Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?
Luke 12:6a  Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?
Do you see it?  It's the Buy-Four-Get-One-Free Bird Bargain.   And my pastor pointed out the relative worthlessness of that fifth sparrow.  And how society always has its fifth sparrows.  And then he finished the verses:
Matthew 10:29b  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
Luke 12:6b  Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.
God keeps track of the sparrows.  Every one of them.  Even the fifth sparrows.  The ones at the bottom of the pecking order.  The ones that don't matter to anyone else matter to God.  I like that thought about the fifth sparrows.  I really like my pastor.  And I really, really like my God.  And what He says in big red letters in both Matthew 10 and Luke 12:
Don't be afraid.  You are worth more than many sparrows.

If I was on the twitter, I would tweet that.


2 comments:

Amanda said...

I read the title and thought that he had brought back the hippie costume!

Abi said...

Oh I went one too far to the 'run the race' sermon- I got worried. That is a neat thought. I love both the Pastor and the Pastor's Wife.