Saturday, March 26, 2011

Unintentionally One Fourth

I didn't mean to read the whole book.  I picked it up from the library yesterday afternoon.  I worked 9 hours, slept 8 hours, and went out to lunch with a friend. And I read the whole book.  Evidently, tempus fugit when you're reading a good book.
It wasn't on my list to read this month, but since I finished it (and the STP never returned the book I intended to read), I might as well count it. 
Time Is A River by Mary Alice Monroe
A two love story almost mystery novel wrapped around (believe it or not) fly fishing.  (that's not exactly the quote on the back of the book, but you get the idea) 
An short exerpt:
      He studied the river; then he pulled his pack of dry flies out from a vest pocket and opened it, revealing dozens of fuzzy flies of all sizes.  Maddie came closer to watch as he poked around the small compartments with his index finger, deliberating.
     "Look at all those.  How do you know which one to choose?"  Maddie asked.
     "Well, you--" he began.
     Mia interrupted him.  "You look at the river then you look at your flies then you poke around with your finger at the mess of flies in your pack, and then you just pick something small, brown, and fuzzy, give it a funny name like Mr. Big's Breakfast, and go for it."
      Maddie burst out laughing.
      Stuart lifted his sunglassed and met Mia's gaze.  They shared a silent, commiserating laugh.  He handed her a brown fuzzy fly.
     "Here you go.  Mr Big's Breakfast."
(Can't you just feel the tension here?  Doesn't the fly fishing innuendo make your cheeks flush?)

Some things this book made me want to do: 
1.  Fly fish with the STP.
2.  Fly fish with my sisters.
3.  Spend all summer in a cabin in the mountains.
4.  Tie some Woolie Buggers.
5.  Write a blog entry about the 'stories".
6.  Read The Four Seasons by this same author.
7.  Add the Latin phrase "Tempus fugit" to my vocabulary.

2 comments:

Brenda's Man said...

Can't wait to go fishing with you honey!

Minnie said...

Can we fit fishing into our yard sale plans? I am looking into flights back east for that Aug. weekend. No beach house yet but maybe by Aug-and then I'll need some great finds to furnish it. I can't wait for sister weekend!! Lets get our other 2 sisses on board!