Sunday, May 20, 2012

Honest Race Recap

Honestly...
1. I did 'run' the 5K on Saturday. 
2. I started out strong.  
3. I passed every one of the other runners. 
4. I finished with a PR for my over 50 races. 
5. I placed second overall. 
No, really.  All true. 

Okay, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? 
1. I did not walk any part of the 5K. (Goal met!)
2. I ran the first 12 feet along side another woman, then I had to slow down because I knew the pace was much too fast for me to be able to sustain and finish.  (She was running with her dad who was about 102 years old.  He passed me about 24 feet into the race.) 
3. It was an out and back race so I passed everyone when I was on my way out--and they were on their way back.  (To my credit--I didn't pass anyone in my first mile, so no one was running twice as fast as me.)
4.  It is the only race I have run since I turned 50.
5.  I placed second in fundraising.  (I won a t-shirt and two complimentary weeks' membership at the fitness/wellness center.  I regifted the t-shirt to the Goob and the gift certificate to the STP.)  I did finish ahead of the 'walkers'.  Maybe more importantly, I did finish.  And one more thing off the sand pail list.
Run a 5k.
Noticed the Dodge City Gazette Editor was there with his camera.  Expect this weeks headline to be Chubby Woman Runs 5K.  Hopefully they print the pictures on an inside page.

1 comment:

planemech2us said...

Jerie said she is very proud of you!