Saturday, November 30, 2013

Good Cookie Number Two

Mexican Wedding Cakes-Little crumbly cookies also known as Russian Tea Cakes or Snowballs.
Why I made them:  My Aunt Ag used to make these at Christmastime.  I think they are a wonderful traditional Christmas cookie. 

Recipe I used:  Aunt Ag is famous for leaving out an ingredient when she gives out a recipe (not to mention that my mom is currently on the outs with her), so I used Paula Deen's recipe because I trust Paula with a recipe whose main ingredient is butter. ( Like any good food blogger, I am including pictures of some of the ingredients for you.  In case you don't know what pecans or powdered sugar look like.)
 Because these are Mexican wedding cakes, I used up the last of my Mexican vanilla in them.  (I would like a new bottle of real vanilla for Christmas.)
These cookies can be shaped in balls or like crescent moons.  I did some of each, but the crescent moons looked like the slugs that Ron Weasley coughed up when his wand malfunctioned, so I didn't make many of them.  
 And now a picture of the cookies going into the oven, in case you don't know what an oven looks like.
And the final product all double rolled in powdered sugar.
How they turned out:  Just like they should.  
Who ate them:  Not the Goob--nuts again.
Not the STP--wheat flour.  Since these are already on the crumbly side I did not try them gluten free.
People at work that I shared Thanksgiving dinner with.
People who cared for my dog while I worked on Thanksgiving.
My boss, whose husband deep fried my turkey while I was at work on Thanksgiving.
Me.




No comments: