Monday, March 08, 2010

Living The WIld Life--Part 2

My quest to see big horn sheep has been ongoing for 18 months.  You would think that living next to the Big Horn River in Big Horn County at the base of the Big Horn Mountains would be the perfect place to see big horn sheep.  The STP and the Goob saw big horn sheep on their first visit to Wyoming.  In the wild.  I had only seen them mounted on walls.
The trick is knowing some experienced big horn sheep sighters.  And the first thing they know is where to look.  Start in the place where the big horn sheep winter over.  And go in the winter. 
This may be why I have never seen big horn sheep.  They are invisible to the naked eye.  See them here out the truck window?  Me, neither.
I may have driven right by big horn sheep a gazillion times. 
 
 

I used my camera to zoom in on them.  But no, wait, that's just a clump of sage brush.



The sheep were just to the left of the sage brush.  Oh, there they are.  See them now?


The next trick is to use your binoculars.  Or borrow the great big sighting scope from the experienced big horn sheep sighters. 
Now, scopes are something I know about.  Not exactly a microscope, but what if I could combine the scope and my camera, ala fungi photos.  And voila!
I know that they make cameras that actually attach to lenses that make this easy, but where is the fun in that?
Once I knew what I was looking for I saw about 100 big horn sheep in one afternoon.  Thanks to the experienced big horn sheep sighters. 
Just as we were heading home about dusk, the experienced big horn sheep sighter says  "Look, there's a herd of elk."  And he was right.  About 100 elk.  See them?   Just at the base of the mountain.  Can you them now? 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

way cool big horn sheep pictures!!! i'm so jealous... but i can not see the elk. are you sure they werent just playing a mean wyoming trick on you?

nancyann said...

Reminds me of going elk spotting with Uncle Bob at camp when we were little....

Miss Brenda said...

Ami-click on the picture of the elk to enlarge it. Focus on the right hand side. Place your nose close to the picture and slowly move it away from you. No, no. Look just above the building--across the ravine. See them now?