Monday, August 09, 2010

An Early Fall?

It was 93 degrees today.  And inexplicably I had the urge to cook things.  I mean to say I peeled potatoes.  I picked fresh lettuce from the SFG and wilted it.  With bacon dressing.  I baked a loaf of gluten free sandwich bread.  And a loaf of gluten free fresh cherry quick bread.  What is wrong with me? 
I'm thinking hormones.  Similar to the 'nesting instinct' just before labor, this must have something to do with 'the change'.  If it lasts, the STP will like this new development.  (The onset of hot flashes made us temperature compatable for the first time in our lives.)  
Just for the record:  The cherry bread recipe called for 1 cup of pitted cherries, unpitted.  I consulted dictionary.com. 
Pit being a noun meaning the stone of a fruit, a hollow depression, or the abode of evil spirits and lost souls. 
Pitted being an adjective meaning scarred with pits, or having the pit removed. 
Thus, pitted means either you have pits or you don't have pits.
As all of my fresh cherries had stones in the centers and no marks on their surfaces, I had no pitted cherries available.  What then? Should I take the seeds out and then return them?  Or purchase cherries with a  pox upon them and chop the hell out of them?  What exactly is an unpitted cherry? 
Cooking is hard.  Especially on days when it is too hot to think.

2 comments:

nancyann said...

arm pits or knee pits?

Abi said...

cherries void of evil spirits and depression with no stones?