Sunday, August 22, 2010

What To Do WIth A Large Cucumber

Saturday the STP and I picked up our basket from the bountiful basket co-op.  I love this plan and I'm excited to be part of a food co-op.  I was so excited I forgot to take my reusable bags to empty my bountiful baskets into.  Fortunately, the STP found a cardboard box to re-use to bring our bounty home.  Next time I will take my blue bags.  (Someday I will confess that I may have your blue bags as well.)  Part of today's bounty was two burpless cucumbers, each about two feet long.  So in the interest of my readers who also food co-op members, I am offering this recipe for

Marinated Cucumbers

1 large cucumber
1 t. salt
3 T. sugar
1/3 c. vinegar
1/2 t. celery seed
several thin slices of onion

(I realize this recipe has more than three ingredients and does not involve a can opener, but do not panic.  You can do this.)
Slice cucumber paper thin.  (If you sold your salad shooter at a yard sale, you can use a potato peeler.)
Sprinkle with salt and sugar;  add vinegar and celery seed.  Mix thoroughly;  fold in onions. 
Mix all ingredients.  (I edited the instructions down to three steps for you.) 
Chill until ready to serve.

May I suggest you use this table blessing when you serve this?: 
Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Your bounty through Christ our Lord.  Amen.
Because bounty is just a good word and it's important to remind ourselves where it comes from.

No comments: