Thursday, August 26, 2010

Final Arrangements

The STP and I have a deal.  Whichever one of us dies first does not have to do any funeral planning.  The one who remains gets to do whatever they choose as far as 'final arrangements' are concerned.  When we were in PA we visited the STP's mom's final resting place.  It is in an old cemetery where her parents are buried.  It is a cemetery worthy of an opening movie scene. 
I told the STP that if his mom were alive she would love being buried there.  He knew what I meant.  (My mother-in-law, however, was probably looking down from heaven and thinking, "I never did think she was right for him.")  
I hope I go first, but just in case, I have been thinking of what to do with what is left of the STP.  I've ruled out storing his body in the freezer or leaving him on the couch.  I asked my favorite WY retired law enforcement officer if it is true that you can just bury someone in your backyard in WY.  And he said, "Oh no, you can't just bury someone in your backyard.  You have to get a permit first."  Glad I cleared that up. 
The STP and I gathered a few ideas this Spring from a local cemetery. 

The STP favored something with skulls and horns.
I leaned more toward crosses and antler art.
Although boots as flower vases and a little sagebrush held a certain appeal as well.
We both agreed that "TO ED, ONE TOUGH S.O.B." was not our idea of a fitting epitaph, but remember that the first one to go has no say in what goes on the grave marker.
But if I go first and if you're going to go with a poem, I would like to suggest that you read it aloud all the way through so you're sure it actually rhymes. 
Because I would hate for you to stand at my grave and laugh.  Although it would make a good closing movie scene. 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i'm not sure if i should be crying or laughing right now...