Sunday, October 03, 2010

Her Mother and I?

Rehearsal was on Friday morning.  The ceremony is this afternoon.  That may be just too much time between the practice and the performance.  Not that I will forget what I am to do.  (Because I can forget what I am doing in just a matter of minutes.)  But that it gives me too much time to think about things.  At the rehearsal the STP practiced giving the bride away.  And when the officiant asked, "Who gives this woman...?"  it was like that commercial and what I heard was, "Who gives this baby...?"  And before I could wrap my mind around it, the STP rehearsed his one line.  The one we've been preparing for for 23 years.  And he just spoke up in his outside voice and declared, "Her mother and I." 
I don't think so.  What made him think that after 30 years of marriage he could presume to speak for me.  I mean, when someone asks me what the STP would like to drink, do I say iced tea, no lemon?  No, I say you'd better check with him.  So I think he should have said, "You'd better check with her mother."  Because I am not sure I want to give this one away.  In fact, I think I want the other two back. 
So pray for me today.   Because I have to walk up the aisle, and take part in a unity cermony, and watch the STP give our baby girl away.  And when the officiant gets to the part about 'speak now or forever hold your peace' and he asks if anyone objects I just might blurt out, "Her father and I."

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh Brenda, I know how you feel! Our daughter married a fine man, but I still wanted to shout NO!!! Not Yet!!! Can I have more time, please! I will be thinking of you today ;-)