Thursday, October 07, 2010

Things Get a Little Batty in Dodge City

This is my front porch.  I grew those pumpkins in the SFG.  And I have mums the size of flamingos. (And yes, the flamingo is wearing cowboy boots.)  It all looks peaceful enough, but wait... there's more.
Because I have three bats on my front porch.  I found them on the Bridge Bust over the Susquehanna River, and I do not regret my purchase.  (I only regret that I did not have adequate funds nor room in my carry-on to purchase a dozen more.) 

They would like to fly free, but I have them tied somewhat securely with fishing line.  So they are forced to spend the day fluttering about a very small area, waiting for nightfall, dreaming of freedom, and making passersby green with envy.  Where did she get those bats?  Why don't I have any bats?  (Am I prepared to deal with that?  Oh, yes, I am. )

  Because at nightfall, when the street lights in Dodge City come on, the real magic happens.

And the fluttering bats cast fluttering bat shadows on the front door.

Lets just sit here on the porch swing on this beautiful fall evening and admire the genius of this.

3 comments:

Abi said...

oh my goodness. they are perfect!! wish we could come and sit a while

Sara said...

OH! I am soooo jealous! I hate bats but want THOSE bats. And to think you have a front porch with a swing makes me even more jealous! I am going to spend the weekend in my shed on my swing with real bats, squirrels(both red and gray), chipmunks,and who knows what else.

Anonymous said...

Oh Brenda, I love your porch! I wish it were a little closer to my presently non existent porch. And...I love your bats! I...have a r e a l bat that swoops down whenever I take Blue (or Blw7 as Evan insists it is spelled) out to do his business. The bat decided to come into Stephie's window and meet me in the powder room. I initially thought it was a great big moth but realizing that was not the case I screamed the obligatory girl scream asking Stephie to help me. She was too groggy to get up to help so I shut the door so he had to stay on her side of the house. In the morning Steve left him hanging on the wall and I left him till Steve came home (and I was not). Steve and the boys spent an hour helping him out of the house. He seems happy and still swoops down to say hello every night while I wait for Blue. Kinda creepy but I am getting used to it. So all that to say, I love your bats, and miss you.