Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Unidentified Frying Objects

In the co-op basket we sometimes get things that we don't usually eat.  Like artichokes.  And sometimes we get things we can't even identify.  This week we got winter root vegetables.  Like sweet potatoes.  And long large white carrot-like roots which happen to be parsnips.  I thought I had a recipe for a parsnip casserole, but it turns out it called for rutabegas.  I am still quite happy about this because 1.  I remembered I had the recipe.  2.  I found the recipe.  3.  It reminded me of the wonderful neighbor from our years in the little house in the big woods.   She wrote the recipe down for me in 1988.  I have never made it. 
Luckily Real Simple and BHG both have recipes in the November issues which use parsnips, and on the Today show today they roasted some parsnips on the food segment.  I don't think I have enough parsnips. 
Here is an additional recipe I found online.  I might try it out on the Goob.

Honey It's Parsnips

1 1/2 lb parsnips, peeled and diagonally sliced into 1/2" pieces
3/4 c. water
1/2 ts. salt
2 Tb. butter
1 Tb. honey
1/4 c. orange juice
1 ts. orange peel; grated

In a saucepan, cook parsnips in water and slat over medium heat until fork tender, about 10 minutes.  Drain and remove from pan.  In same pan heat butter, honey, juice and orange peel together; toss with parsnips and a little salt, if desired.  Serve hot.

1 comment:

Abi said...

SO- I will ask, how were they? have you eaten them yet?