Thursday, February 24, 2011

Can We Talk?

When the STP took the ice water plunge last week he took his phone along.  Even in my near death state I had enough sense to not ask (out loud) if he didn't think as he was turning around and clutching for the edge of the ice as he was going down about pulling his phone out of his pocket and hurling it back onto the dry ice.  
Lets back up.  Last summer on the tour training trip the STP put his phone in my bike bag.  In the same section where I put my cold water bottle.  Which sweated onto the STP's phone and fried it.  Which he thought was pretty much my fault.  Which I didn't quite see the same way.  My bottle in my bike bag was a problem for his phone?  We agreed to disagree about whose fault the fried phone was.  (Let's call this fried phone #1.) The STP used his free upgrade and several hundred more dollars and a $29.99 a month plan increase to replace his phone.  With a smart phone.  The STP wanted to know if I wanted to free upgrade my phone then, but I had barely had it two years and hadn't really learned how to use it yet.  And by use it, I mean sometimes I had trouble answering it, and the only way I knew to silence a call was to flip it open and then hang up on whoever was calling. 
So when the STP took his smart phone with him on the polar plunge last week (Lets call this fried phone #2 but since we are so glad the STP is ALIVE we are not going to assign blame for this one.  As long as its clear it was certainly not my fault.)  I let him use my upgrade.  So my free upgrade and $100.00 later the STP has a DROID.  Which is evidently even smarter and will do amazing things.  Like send and recieve FB messages from Obiwan. 
Okay, now back to this morning.  When the STP picks up clothes from the bathroom floor and starts a load of laundry.  Which includes the jeans I was going to rewear today.  The ones with my flipping cell phone still in the pocket.  Were my jeans in that load? 
Here is where I should insert the picture of my cellphone at the bottom of the washer under two inches of water at the beginning of the rinse cycle.  (Lets call this fried phone #3.)
But the STP and I were busy trying to decide whose fault this was. Mine for leaving my phone in my pocket near the laundry or his for picking up not quite laundry and not checking the pockets before starting the laundry.  There were a few tense moments.  Then we realized that a sunken cell phone was not the end of the world.  And neither of us said anything (out loud) that we will have to bring up at future counseling sessions. 
So the Goob gave me his upgrade, (which I combined with $0.00) and I have a new phone that has a slidey QWERTY keyboard.  And no contact information.  I explained to the helpful 14 year old salesclerk how I used my phone, and she spoke a little louder and slower, "Both my parents have this phone." And as soon as they make a phone that is smart enough to be WATERPROOF I will be happy to upgrade again.  In the meantime, we added the insurance to the STP's phone.  Because it is pretty clear who fries the most phones on our plan. 

Lets not miss the good news here.  There was enough room in my jeans pocket yesterday to comfortably carry my phone.  Am I having a good week, or what?

1 comment:

Minnie said...

And I thought I went thru alot of phones-Mine dont involve water-I just have the dropsies!The last 1 I got I broke before 30 days and called and added insurance, so i could replace it.