Monday, February 07, 2011

February's Project Circa 2009

Some projects take longer than others.  I finally put some of the Queen of Queens' wedding pictures together and had them printed into a shutterfly book. Just took me a little over three years.  Here is my wedding advice:  get some good pictures. I have already finished my February project.  It was only two years in the making.  Two summers ago I bought an old window from the Shell Community Hall.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.  Over time I have had several ideas.  From simply using it as a picture frame to suspending it from the ceiling over my pony wall.  (Even though I don't have a pony wall.)  Then I got the map idea. 
First I had to procure the maps.  From a map lover who has had them since the 1980's.  And then I had to cut them up to fit the window panes.
There was something about cutting the maps that felt sacrilegious--something akin to cashing in my savings bonds.  (Gosh, I love my Dad.)  Once I had my western map I had this Bonanza moment where I felt the need to burn something, so I burned the edges of the map scale.  And I added some big horn sheep photos.
And a few coat and hat hooks.
And then I had the STP attach it to the wall. And voila!
A place for the STP to hang his hat. And a project finished.
The fact that I got to use both my sander and a paintbrush is just a bonus.

3 comments:

Minnie said...

Love the window/map/hat hooks-you did a great job! My next project (not counting unfinished table/quilt for Tyler/baby afaghan)involves fence pickets cut and painted as fish-just need to find some old pickets.

Amanda said...

i love it! does it hang just to the left of your pellet stove?

Abi said...

love it Miss Brenda. It turned out great. You inspire me, this weekend I will open my new sewing machine and look at it. :) love you.