Friday, August 24, 2012

Too Much Adventure

Deluded Buoyed by my recent hike in the WYoming wilderness, and jealous of challenged by Uncle Michael's book of Pennsylvania's wonders of wonders, I ordered a book of my own from Amazon.  Titled "Hiking Wyoming--110 of the State's Best Hiking Adventures."  And clearly it is beyond me.  Written by an EMT trained wilderness ranger, it appears at least 109 of the hikes would require serious backpacking skills, bear spray, and spending at least one adventurous night in the Wyoming wilds.
I was just flipping through when I came upon this sentence on page 111:
Most folks from the West know the havoc cheat grass plays with socks when it is dry.
Not being originally from the West I was forced to google cheatgrass. It is obviously an invasive noxious weed.  Which I assume is one step up from a simple noxious weed.   I am including a picture.  It is not as exciting as a rattlesnake picture, but evidently cheatgrass can wreak economic havoc as well as play havoc with your socks.  Serious havoc stuff.
Additionally, it is extremely flammable when dry. 

So now we know that we do not want to hike the Paint Rock Creek this time of year. 
Or do we just want to hike sockless? (I'm finding this book to be slightly less helpful than I expected.) 
As a side note, this trail is not recommended for horse travel.

4 comments:

Minnie said...

All these horse references-so did you get a horse???

Unknown said...

My 2-legged momma said she would love to hike this one day. I would come along of course.

MEL said...

Two words to look for when purchasing a hiking book: "day hikes". A third word that you may like: "easy".

Miss Brenda said...

Good advice--too late.