Thursday, November 05, 2009

I Hate To Be The One To Break The News...

...But I can't lie to you. In fact, Abi, you never had a childhood. Your 'real mother' dropped you off at our house and I just created memories by talking about things we could have done and staging a few photographs. Also, you loved coleslaw as a child and I'm sure I never let you have any. And those memories you have of 'playing' in the snow? I just put you outside because I couldn't stand your whining any more. And your real mother let you buy candy in the checkout aisle. And there's no such thing as the tooth fairy. I wrote those letters about the importance of brushing your teeth, and all those rotten little teeth I have saved in my jewelry box probably aren't yours. Or your 'sisters''.
But don't tell them any of this. It'll be our little secret. (They'll figure it out when they have their own kids.)

No comments: