Thursday, December 09, 2010

Overhead Structure With Signing

Today the Dodge City Gazette published a map of the town's latest truck route proposal.  It highlights the proposed alternate truck route through town. It is part of an ongoing struggle between Dodge City and the DOT in an effort to maintain the integrity of the main intersection in town and accommodate truck traffic through town. 
The map lists and numbers 21 structures affected by the changes.  My house has a prominent place on the map.  It is the unnumbered structure at the south end of the route.  It would be the house with the 'overhead structure with signing' in the FRONT YARD!  What the DOT and Dodge City fail to realize is that I am both the daughter and the mother of highway engineers.  I know how to read a map.  I know that is my house with the proposed overhead structure in the front yard.  I've been thinking about replacing the dead tree.  But I hadn't considered replacing it with overhead signage.  So I am going to have to go to the Dodge City/DOT public meeting and ask a few questions.  Like: 
Why didn't my house get a number? 
Have you ever been as far south in town as Third Avenue South? 
How much shade will the overhead signing provide for my front porch? 
Can I hang my own signage from the overhead structure? 
Are they prepared to deal with this?  I hope so.

 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

there is only one road through town. what will the sign say? 'Just Keep Going'?