Thursday, December 30, 2010

A New List

Things I did today:
Talked on the phone.  (Mom and Dad)
Made fudge.
Talked on the phone. (Queen of Underpants)
Made fish dip.
Talked on the phone. (Sister)
Made no-farty  gluten-free hearty party crackers.
Talked on the phone. (Princess Amidala)
Cleaned my oven. 
Okay, the oven is a self-cleaning oven.  I have owned it for two years.  I think I have cleaned it once before today.  Because of the cheesecake I made for Christmas, I am using the 'heavily soiled' setting.  It took me a while to find the instruction booklet.  I have the booklet open near the oven because there is a warning about what to do in case of excessive smoke or fire. I hope not to need to refer to that, but I don't function well in a crisis mode and, remember, luck favors the prepared, darling.
While my oven cleans itself, I am starting to think about a list of things I want to do in the coming New Year.  Some things are always on the list.  Just held over from the list of things I didn't accomplish last year.  But this year I am adding a new thing to the list.  In fact, I am putting it near the top of the list, because I believe it is so doable.
1.  Buy something at the deli counter.
While I was talking to Princess Amidala on the phone today (see above), she revealed that she finally bought something at the deli counter.  And I reveled in this victory with her, because I share her apprehension of trying new things.  Scary things like buying something at the deli counter.  And I realized that I have never bought anything from the deli counter here in Dodge City.  And I have lived here for 2.45 years.  I buy all my lunch meat and cheese prepackaged.  I have not made pasta salad.  I glance at the deli counter upon entering the store.  One time I even pushed my cart in front of it and looked at stuff in the deli case.   But this is the year I will talk to the person behind the counter.  I will order half a pound of something and have them wrap it up for me.  I.  Can.  Do.  This.
It's good to have goals.

1 comment:

nancyann said...

Samantha once gave the deli guy flowers(dandelions)and he gave her pepperoni. She has loved pepperoni ever since! Not sure your husband would like this approach, but if it works for you...