Friday, December 17, 2010

Public Meeting Number One

Last night was the public meeting about the proposed truck route thru Dodge City.  It was my first public meeting.  We signed in upon arrival and got several pages of information.  There was a sheet to sign on if you wanted to speak.  I wanted to speak  and I had several questions so I signed on the sheet.  There were several policemen stationed near the back and the door.  Evidently public meetings in Dodge City have a reputation.  Also in attendence were most members of the Dodge City Council and every  employee of WyDOT.  Even the ones on injured reserve.  (Seriously, the one in charge of driving pretend trucks around maps hobbled to the podium and used his crutch as a pointer.  I wondered if his injury was a result of a previous public meeting.) 
Turns out you do not have to sign up to speak or ask a question at a public meeting.  But because I was on the list I got to speak with the 'speakers'.  My bad. I just pointed out my house on the map.  Asked them to number it.  Communicated that I thought it was a bad idea to put 'signage' in my front yard.  Threatened to lash myself to the tree in my front yard in protest if they proceeded with their hair-brained  hare-brained proposed plan.  I hope it doesn't come to that.  Because, baby, it's cold out there.

I am also gathering pictures of Council members' and downtown business owners' front yards.  Just in case.

No comments: