Monday, June 27, 2011

This Is The Day

Today was the day we were going to launch the kayaks. 
Every time I tell someone I bought a kayak they ask me if I have learned to roll my kayak (as in flip my kayak upside down and make it come back up.)  Evidently they are trying to merge what kayaking they have seen in movies and summer Olympic coverage with the image of me in a kayak.  I am touched that they care enough about me to raise such concerns, but they needn't worry.  Obviously, we have totally different ideas of what I plan to do in my kayak.  Because I picture a calm secluded mountain lake, and me and the STP leisurely paddling about, and lunch on the far shore.  (Such sorrow that the picnic blanket is no longer in my possession.)  At no time do I envision my kayak being upside down.
Today was the day the plan was going to come together.

I have been searching for the ideal calm secluded mountain lake for the kayaks maiden voyage.  This week I heard that Meadowlark Lake was 'open'.  (This does not mean that the gate was unlocked.  It means that the ice has melted off of it.)  So this afternoon the STP and I loaded the kayaks. And headed for the mountain.   
And when we arrived at the mountain lake there were flashes of lightning and hail. 
Yes, hail.

Perhaps today was the day we practiced loading and unloading the kayaks and enjoyed a lovely ride to the mountain.
We waited a little while and studied the sky and debated whether we wanted to actually approach water that had been ice less than a week ago.   Then we unloaded the kayaks. And then the sun came out and we launched those kayaks. 
And just like that, there we were.  The STP and I kayaking on a calm secluded mountain lake. 
Just the way I had envisioned it.  Next time I will pack a lunch--just in case we make it to the far shore.
Today was also the day we invited friends to share the day with us.  To take our pictures and try out our kayaks and to marvel over the wildflowers with us
and to eat supper with us in Ten Sleep.
 And we didn't come home until the sun set.
Yep, today was the day. 
And I was just thinking that that the Lord's lovingkindnesses are new every morning.  Makes me look forward to what tomorrow might bring.

4 comments:

Abi said...

You make me smile.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

This sounded like a very fun day. Your blog was the "next blog" after mine, and I clicked the button I never clicked.

I want to buy a Kayak some day. I only did it once (Catalina Island, CA), and I loved it. It was much easier than I thought, and I live in Oregon where there is a LOT of water. I am not sure why I haven't gotten around to doing it here! Have another great adventure today.

Brenda's Man said...

I love my wife!

Bits and pieces from Barb said...

What a wonderful way to begin your kayaking experience. May you have many more beautiful, peaceful kayak days.