Monday, July 11, 2011

A New Perspective on the SFG

I hardly ever show you the SFG from this angle. 

My favorite farmer's wife (FFW) saw my SFG for the first time last week.  She said she has never seen such a little garden.  Ever.  Coming from a farmer's daughter and a farmer's wife who has seen a lot of gardens over the years, I am taking that as a compliment.  I have been harvesting lettuce for weeks.  I have planted a second planting.

 
The rhubarb, which up to this point I believed was a miniature variety, is coming into its own in the front corner.  I am thinking I could make a quarter recipe of rhubarb crunch.








The peppers have blossoms, although mostly they just drop off the plants after they bloom.  Maybe they are late summer producers.


I harvested some uber-baby carrots today.  Uber-baby carrots are about half an inch long and about an eighth of an inch thick at the top. (Which is another way of saying that I thinned the carrots and ate the ones I pulled out.)  I shared one with the Goob.  It is the first time in his life he has eaten a whole carrot.

Possible the most exciting development is in the zucchini square foot.  The plant itself does not look good. It is growing slowly and the leaves are turning brown.  I did not expect this, as zucchini seems to be a crop that never does poorly.  But today it too had blossoms.  Oh, baby, I have visions of zucchini bread dancing in my head.

And then I have the lemon basil.  I cut some of this fresh on Friday evening.  I used it to season the fresh trout that the STP and the Goob brought home from the lake.  One of those three ingredient recipes I am so fond of.  Trout, Lemon basil, and butter.  It could only have been fresher if I had churned the butter after I came home from work. 

 But it is summer and I don't want to get in the habit of cooking.

2 comments:

Abi said...

those zucchini blossoms are just beggin to be stuffed with cheese and fried up. Your garden always amazes me.

cfoxes33 said...

Loved your garden!