Sunday, July 17, 2011

Run, Silly Little Dog, Run

Thoughts on running with the dog:
The SLD is eternally hopeful that I will run.
The SLD recognizes my running clothes and my running shoes.
When I am wearing the combination of my running clothes and running shoes, the SLD leaps for joy.
When I mention the words 'go' and 'leash' in the same sentence, the SLD leaps higher.
While I jog at my top speed the SLD walks right beside me.  One her eight-inch long legs.  (The STP says she has four legs to my two, but I'm not sure that explains this.)((I added the hypen in eight-inch after I previewed this post because without it it may have appeared that the SLD had eight inch-long legs--more caterpillar than dog.  Silly indeed.))
While I jog continuously, the SLD stops to sniff things and to pee.
The SLD never makes fun of how slow I run. 
The SLD never complains about how far I do or do not run.
When we get home the SLD waits for me to take my shoes off.
The SLD likes my smelly socks.
Like me, the SLD likes to follow a morning run with an afternoon nap. 

I am running because of a plan I made for vacation.  I planned to run a 5k with my kids.  I would have called them all this weekend and said I had changed my mind except for this.  Ah, Princess Amidala, how you motivate me.  I will be competing in the women over 30 category.  (The key is to limit the field.)  I expect to be a contender.  I can not, however, muster as much excitment about this running thing as the SLD.  She's in a class by herself.