Monday, November 29, 2010

HGTV Overload

I was on call on Black Friday.  So I had to do my shopping within 15 minutes of the health care facility.  Which still left me hours to knit and watch the holiday marathon on HGTV.  And I gleaned more decorating ideas and more inspiration than one woman should be allowed to glean. 
Here's some of what I learned:
1.  Don't forget to decorate the front door or dining room table.  (They did not give me any hints on what to do with the stack of papers I already have on the table.)
2.  Mix high and low.
3.  You can hire a decorator if you are a TV celebrity, a country music star, or married to a NFL player.
4.  I can not afford a decorator.
5.  How to cut dovetails on ribbons.  (This is so simple I can't believe I didn't already know this.  Maybe I knew it once and forgot it.)
6.  Disney World Christmas decorators work year-round and have a ribbon ROOM
7.  I definately want to visit Disney World at Christmas time.
8.  Teal and copper are the new red and green.
9.  Pheasant feathers are a legitimate Christmas decoration.
10.You can spray paint your Christmas tree.

On Saturday, I stayed home and decorated.  I tried to remember and apply what I learned.  I used a lot of things I already owned and some things I had bought at yardsales.  I decorated the obelisk with 45 cents worth of lights from a yardsale.  And I used two spools of wedding ribbon to string a dollar's worth of garage sale ornaments from the chandelier.  And I put the other 50 cents worth of ornaments in the big blue pot on the front porch.  And I finally took down the porch swing and the bats and hung the snowflakes.  I put the garland on the fence.  Late in the afternoon I had to send the STP to the store for one thing that I didn't have but needed.  Desperately needed.  Like absolutely couldn't celebrate Christmas without it.                       A can of silver spray paint.
Stand back because I haven't even started on the tree or the big room yet.

3 comments:

Abi said...

I suggest tying ribbons around your stacks of papers. This will make them festive :)
Happy Decorating... I can't wait to start.

Miss Brenda said...

Abi- You should have your own holiday special on HGTV. Thanks for the awesome idea.

Abi said...

I'd call it Classy Clutter with Abi